The second season of True Blood has come to an end (I know sad), and with the end of the season comes my final review!!!
Overall, I thought the show as a whole went up by about 80% in greatness; last season was good, this season was even better. Everything from the effects to the makeup to wardrobe got a much need improvement from the first season.
But how did the second season compare to the send book “Living Dead in Dallas”. Well that is another story!!
***Beware Spoilers below if you haven’t read the books or seen all the of the 2nd season***
Key-points of what they got right:
- Sookie, Bill and Eric go to Dallas to help find vampire, Sookie gets captured, FOTS (Fellowship of the Sun) blows up the “nest” where they are all staying.
- A Manaid comes to Bon Temps, Sookie gets poisoned by it.
- Sookie meets another telepath like her
What was changed?
- Due to Bill’s “punishment” last season, new vamp Jessica got a good story line when she fails for Hoyt, they are super cute together.
- We met Eric’s “maker” Godric (who later met the sun). What I find odd, was in the books Godric is not Eric’s maker, and how Eric became a vampire was actually explained in the latest book ‘Dead and Gone’. However, Godric quickly gave me one of my favorite scenes, Eric shedding tears over his makers death.
- More Eric. He is my favorite character in the books, so I was happy he got more screen time this season.
- Lafayette lives!!! Yes, Alan Ball changed that up this season and kept Lafayette alive!!!
- Jason joining FOTS – Jason doesn’t get much page time in the books, so it was nice to see him getting in touch with who he is this season!!!
- Too much Manaid. Well I did love Michelle Forbes’ ‘Maryann’, I was quickly getting tired of that storyline. I was happy it only took up 20mins of the season finale. I would have like more Bill/Sookie/Eric time.
- Tara became this little lost puppy. What happened to our strong Tara from season 1? This season she just seemed a little lost to me.
- Lorena. We meet Bill’s maker Lorena 1 book ahead of schedule, so that makes me wonder who they are going to play out season 3 along with the book ‘Club Dead’.
Definitely more good then bad and we now have about a year till season 3 starts. As Alan Ball has said that at the very least Season 3 will start around the time as season 2 did, so that would be right around June 2010. Which will leave us with very few “vampire goodness” holes; Vampire Diaries will have just ended its first season and The Twilight Saga: Eclipse is released June 30, 2010!!
What did you think of second season of True Blood? Sound off in the comments!!