Chapters 13- 14 by Chris
Characters: Clary, Magnus, Alec, Jace, Isabelle
Places: Magnus Apartment
1. “So the Covenant’s all right with this – this mind-rape?” – Clary page 227
2. Every teenager in the world feels like that, feels broken or out of place, peasants. The difference in your case is that it’s true. You are different. Maybe not better-but different. And it’s not picnic being different.” – Magnus page 231
3. “If there was such a thing as terminal literalism, you’d have died in childhood.” – Jace page 232
4. “Vampires are such prima donnas” – Magnus page 243
Questions for consideration:
1. Why do you believe Clary’s mother had Magnus put a spell on her, did she have justification?
2. Does Clary have a right to be angry with her mother and Magnus?
3. At this point, why do you think Jace is still being rude about Simon…is he getting jealous now?
4. What do you infer about Magnus revelations to Clary about her mother and Shadowhunters?
Clary is astonished to discover that her mother had the memory spell put on her with the help of Magnus. Jocelyn would go to Magnus every two and update the spell if not, it would wear off and Clary would begin to remember the world of Shadowhunters. Magnus has known Clary her whole life and she had no idea about him, she feels utterly betrayed by her mother at this point. Although, she is excited to know that all these years of feeling different haven’t come without cause, but she still is very angry. We learn a little more about the mysterious High Warlock; Magnus, that he was brought up in a religious home only to be nearly killed by his father for being half demon.
The spell can’t be reversed for that she might have permanent damage, she will have to let the memories find their way back…if at all. Magnus does let Clary learn some Runes from the Gray Book, a book full of the Nephilim’s Runes. This should speed up the remembrance process and help open up her mind to this world. They learn Magnus is no fool and will not help them retrieve the cup before Valentine.
As they are getting ready to leave, Isabelle tells them that Simon drank some kind of potion and now is a house rat. Clary flips a lid over the incident but luckily the effects will wear off in a few hours and he will be human again. Upon leaving Magnus pulls Clary back and warns her that her mother wouldn’t want Clary to risk her life to save hers, nor getting involved with the world that she fought so hard to protect her from; the Shadowhunters. While heading home Clary realizes that Simon is missing from her backpack, and rushes back to Magnus for answers. Jace and Clary learn that Magnus saw one of his guests leaving with a small brown rat…this guest was a Vampire.
Characters: Jace, Clary, Raphael, Vampires
Places: A Catholic Church, Hotel Dumort
1. “And when I saw him lying dead in a pool of his won blood, I knew then that I hadn’t stopped believing in God. I’d just stopped believing God cared. There might be a God, Clary, and there might not, but I don’t think it matters. Either way, we’re on our own.” – Jace page 257
2. “I’m really staring to hate mundanes.” – Jace page 266
3. “Stick with me and it won’t be the last.” – Clary page 260
4. “You can see where it was, years ago. Life an old woman who was once beautiful, but time has taken her beauty away.” – Raphael page 268
Questions for consideration:
1. Why do you think Jace doesn’t believe in God and has lost his faith?
2. At this point, what does Jace think of Clary, is he still annoyed or intrigued?
3. What do you make of this Vampire, Raphael what is different about him?
Clary and Jace set off to the nearby church in search of weapons in case getting Simon back from the Vampires causes’ trouble. As Jace is retrieving weapons from the altar, Clary is shocked to find out that Jace doesn’t believe in God. He doesn’t care one way or the other because he believes if it’s true then they are still on their own in this world. These emotions stem from his dad’s murder and his upbringing, Clary hasn’t given much thought to religion before, she can’t argue the point. Also we learn that the Clave doesn’t choose one religion of the others and in return the sanctuaries are willing to help any Shadowhunters anywhere in their missions.
JOIN US IN THE FORUM TO READ THE REST OF THE SUMMARY AND JOIN IN THE DISCUSSION!