Chapter 23 by Chris
1. When they reached the lobby and the doors opened I knew they were meant to be there, the four of them together, alone. – Susie page 314
2. “I love you Susie” – Abigail page 317
3. “All of it, the story of my life and death, was hers if she chose to tell it, even to one person at a time.” – Susie page 321
Ruth and Ray spent the night together, the day before had changed so many things, and opened so many doors. In the middle of the night, Ray takes Susie’s advice and reads Ruth’s journal while she sleeps, what he discovers leaves him cold inside.
Jack is being discharged from the hospital today. Susie watches her family, cram in the elevator, and with all their faults and issues, she can see the family bonds repairing themselves…everything is as it is meant to be.
Questions for consideration:
1. How do you think Ray feels about Ruth’s secrets? What will happen to them in the future, will they end up together?
2. Do you believe that Abigail is once again acknowledging her daughters death and admitting her guilt, as well as her infinite affection for Susie?
Sadly this ends our Lovely Bones book club. For more of the summary, click here.
Please join us on the forum to discuss our past and present book clubs. We look forward to your input.