What better way to celebrate our YA book club than talking about everything Gatlin. This week we bring you a look at some of the best moments in Kami Garcia and Margie Stohl’s Beautiful Creatures.
Top 5 Reasons Lena and Ethan Should be Together
1. They are destined to be together.
2. They hear each other’s thoughts and share almost everything.
3. They both love books and don’t fit into the Gatlin norm.
4. Dream girl/boy.
5. They just get each other.
Top 5 Reasons Gatlin Sucks by Chris
1. In the middle of nowhere, literally.
2. So small, that everyone knows your business.
3. Gatlin thinks of the Civil War as the ‘War of Northern Aggression’ and therefore doesn’t acknowledge the changes after the war.
4. The theatre only shows movies that are out on DVD everywhere else.
5. Mrs. Lincoln.
Top 10 Quotes from Beautiful Creatures by Chris
1. There were only two kinds of people in our town. “The stupid and the stuck,” my father had affectionately classified our neighbors. (Page 1 – Before: The Middle of Nowhere by Ethan)
2. “Grace tried ta beat him ta death with a broom.”
“That’s not true. I told you, I wasn’t wearing my spectacles and he looked just like a wharf rat runnin’ through the kitchen” (Page 88 – 9.12: The Sisters)
3. “I don’t know how you girls wear all this junk all over your face. It itches like hell.” (Page 250 – 10.31: HallowE’en by Link)
4. “You’re not the only one falling” (Page 274 – 11.01: The Writing on the Wall by Lena)
5. “Just don’t be thinking my girlfriend’s saving you a dance” (Page 366 – 12.08: Waist Deep by Ethan)
6. “Mortals. I envy you. You think you can change things. Stop the universe. Undo what was done long before you came along. You are such beautiful creatures.” (Page 446 – 1.12: Promise by Macon Ravenwood)
7. “Lena Duchannes. If you sic those stairs on me again, I’m gonna report you to the Disciplinary Committee myself.” (Page 470 – 2.11: Sweet Sixteen by Ethan)
8. “How do you escape from yourself” (Page 472 – 2.11 Sweet Sixteen by Lena)
9. “Stupid to the power of stupid” (Page 495 – 2.11 Sweet Sixteen by Ethan)
10. “Mortals. That body was just insufferable, so awkward and uncomfortable. Stuffing its face every five minutes. Disgusting creatures.” (Page 517 – 2.11: Family Reunion by Sarafine)
Top 5 Characters by Krystal
1. Ethan – Of course Ethan is first. He’s our main protagonist and he sticks in there, despite losing his reputation with the town of Gatlin.
2. Link – This boy gets up here because he’s just plain funny. He stand’s by Ethan no matter what decisions he makes.
3. Amma – Nothing like your own personal Seer as a caretaker. I mean what’s better than a crossword loving granny who watches every move you make?
4. Lena – Poor Lena only makes spot 4. Maybe it’s because she annoys me with all her whining at the beginning of the book.
5. Macon – Macon is just so awesome. He helps Lena and loves her dearly and even makes the ultimate sacrifice for her. Not to mention he gets the book title line.
Beautiful Creatures is really an amazing book with great southern dialogue and deeply fleshed out characters. If you haven’t read it I suggest you do and see what you think of our lists.