The second artist I want to introduce to you is H. R. Giger. I guess we all know his works – but maybe not him.
Artist Name: Hans Rüdiger Giger
Date of Birth: 1940
Where From: Chur, Switzerland
He is recognized as one of the world’s most well known artists of Fantastic Realism and he achieved international fame with his work on Ridley Scott’s movie ‘Alien’. For his designs of the film’s title creature and its otherworldly environment H. R. Giger received the 1980 Academy Award for ‘Best Achievement for Visual Effects’.
He studied architecture and industrial design at the School of Applied Arts in Zurich and by 1964 he was producing his first artworks. By discovering airbrush he also found his own unique freehand painting style. That was the beginning of the creations of many of his most well known works – the surrealistic Biomechanical dreamscapes.
Work in Movies:
– Alien 3
– Poltergeist II: The Other Side
– Kondom des Grauens
– Batman Forever
– Tokyo: The Last Megalopolis
– The Shiver – Walpurgis
– Emerson, Lake and Palmer – Brain Salad Surgery
– Magma – Attahk
– Island – Pictures
– Debbie Harry – KooKoo
– Celtic Frost – To Mega Therion
– Dead Kennedys – Frankenchrist
– Pankow – Freiheit für die Sklaven
– Steve Stevens – Atomic Playboys
– Atrocity – Hallucinations
– Sacrosanct – Recesses for the Depraved
– Danzig – Danzig III: How The Gods Kill
– Carcass – Heartwork
– Hide – Hide Your Face
– Dr. Death – Somewhere in nowhere (Birthmachine)
– Böhse Onkelz – Dunkler Ort
– Dark Seed
– Dark Seed 2
Read more about H.R. Giger and his work HERE.