Chapters 11- 12 by Chris
Chapter 11 by Chris
The Games – Woods/Trees
1. “I’ve see her throw in training. She never misses. And I’m her next target.” – Katniss page 150
2. “And I will not end up with the unpleasant task of killing him. Maybe it’s better if he’s out of this for good.” – Katniss page 153
3. “And here I am a stone’s throw from the biggest idiot in the Games. Strapped in a tree.” – Katniss
4. “We’re wasting time! I’ll go finish her and let’s move one!” – Peeta page 160
Questions for consideration:
1. Why do you think Peeta was looking at Katniss before the Games begin? Was he trying to distract her?
2. If you were in the Games, would you have ran like Katniss or went up further trying to grab supplies?
3. What are your thoughts on Peeta? What kind of game is he playing, by working with the other Tributes?
Katniss finds herself debating on what to do when the bell rings out, and she is released into the Games. She could brave it, and use her speed to get the bow and arrow at the cornucopia, or she could do what Haymitch told her, and run away fast. She debates for the entire minute they have before the cylinders release them…Peeta distracts her, and she is left with a backup, plastic sheet, and a loaf of bread. But luckily the girl from District 12 tries to get her with her knives, and launches one before Katniss makes it into the safety of woods, she is now in possession of a weapon. Katniss sees that already so many have died at the battle by the cornucopia; she takes back into the woods.
She is off in the woods, surveying the land for water, but she doesn’t stop. Katniss continues to put much distance as possible between her and the other competitors. She knows that gorging the last few days will give her enough energy for days…and growing up in district 12 she knows she has the staying power. After a few hours, she hears the cannons ring indicating how many people have died so far…eleven. She thinks about Peeta and wonders if he made it, she feels emotions over this, but quickly dismisses them because it would be in her favor if he had already died. She finds in her backup supplies, a sleepy bag, beef jerky, crackers, wooden matches, coil of wire, sunglasses, and an empty water jug.
She knows that water has to be near by, because she has already seen one rabbit. She decides to set up camp for night, before she sets up snares for catching rabbits. She picks a tree to sleep in, to conceal her from anyone that comes along. That night they reveal who has died that day, Peeta isn’t one of them…she finds herself relieved. The remaining 13 are the strongest competitors; nothing comes easy in the Games.
By morning, Katniss has been awake most of the night due to the biggest idiot in the Games. A girl had made so much noise, calling out her attention to everyone…by morning the other tributes had found her. Katniss listened at the group cheer in victory of having only 11 more people to kill…she discovers that one of those people is, Peeta.
Chapter 12 by Chris
1. “I will eagerly watch the night skies for signs of his death, if I don’t kill him first myself.” – Katniss page 162
2. “Every time I think about her spinning around in that dress, I want to puke.” – career tribute page 162
3. “Then I cock my head slightly to the side and give a knowing smile. There! Let them figure out what that means!” – page Katniss page 164
4. “He has, in fact, in his own unpleasant way, genuinely been trying to prepare me for this. The what is going on?” – Katniss page 168
Questions for consideration:
1. Why do you think the careers are keeping Peeta around, just to find Katniss? And why do you think Katniss is so quick to disbelieve him?
2. Do you begin to see how Katniss can play this game, how there might be hope for her yet? (in a first time reader POV – or capitol viewer)
3. How do you think Haymitch is behaving himself at this point? Do you believe he is awake, sober and will work hard at keeping the kids alive?
Katniss waits in the trees as Peeta and the rest of the tributes are below. Peeta is sent to make sure that the girl they had just killed was really dead. The career tributes hang back and begin to discuss Peeta’s fate, some think he should just be killed but others believe that he will lead them to Katniss, which is most important being as somehow she scored and 11. Peeta comes back and assures the group the lonely tribute is dead and the move on. Katniss gets up and packs, she decides to play into the cameras and people watching by giving a grin, that could say that she knows exactly what Peeta is doing…which inside, she is just as confused and angry as ever.
Katniss sets out again in search of water, the only thing that is keeping her down. She knows she can’t survive long with out it, and she is fading fast. She has already begun to feel fatigue, sharp head pains, and she hasn’t urinated much at all. Finding water is the most important task she has at the moment. After the ruff night in a tree, Katniss realizes that Haymitch could help her, he could get one of the sponsors to send her water…but when she asks none comes. After going through all the options as to why she wouldn’t receive any water, she believes that Haymitch is actually sending her a signal…she is close. Katniss barley makes it, she is close to passing out, but she feels the mud and smells the lilies from the pond. She has found her salvation….for the moment.
JOIN THE DISCUSSION ON THESE CHAPTERS IN THE FORUM HERE